Wednesday, November 29, 2006

What's this about Library 2.0?

Gentle readers,
I was checking my feeds on Bloglines this morning when I saw that there was a post on LibraryThing (oh what a tangled web we weave ...) about someone nominating the article on "Library 2.0" to be deleted from Wikipedia. That's the crazy thing about Wikipedia, you can write a whole article on something and someone will turn around and think it's not worth the space. It was being discussed on the Librarians Who LibraryThing discussion board, although not terribly much. I was interested because 1. This is what this whole staff development project is about and b. I'd never seen a deletion in action.
You can see it for yourself. (Click on the post title.) It was an overwhelming vote to keep the article, even backed by people who hate the "YaddaYaddah 2.o" terms.
While I was about it, I looked up Library 2.0 on Wikipedia (actually, I did that first in case they were planning on deleting it) and read the article, which helped solidify what the buzz is about in my mind. (You know, you can go to these conference things and get all excited about something and then later when Real Life kicks in and then you start wondering what all the fuss was about.) I also tried reading some of the links in the article, but my eyes glazed over and I started thinking, "Oh, reading the shelves sounds like fun!"

No comments: