Friday, December 01, 2006

New On-Line Thingies

I haven't been this excited since they introduced e-mail. Kidding. I am looking forward to the audio-books, though. Reading off a computer screen makes my head ache after a while, so while I'm not that interested in doing it, I did look at ... okay ... all the titles (less than 800). I also looked at the audiobook titles as well (a mere 1,700-ish) and am fairly rubbing my mitts together and wondering when I will find the time to listen to some of these. (Plus I can learn some language called "Twi"! I have no idea what it is, but I want it.)

Something that I found annoying was the bit under "details." Some details have reviews (reasonably helpful), and some have this ... other thing. It's described thusly:
"Short summary of the eContent item on the Details page. The summary is selected by the search engine and represents the main concepts of the eContent item. If coming from a search, summaries relate to the search query display. If coming from your affiliated library's online catalog, summaries represent the main concepts of the entire item." The end result is that it makes no sense at all.
Here's an example:
"Mike has such a friendly, easy style that makes this topic seem not so threatening. —Barbara Spade, Parent, International VP of Community Relations, Parents Without Partners, Inc. But go easy on this. You’re trying to build your kid up, not tear her down. Because you’ve got to be there to keep your kid on track, this would be a good time to do a little decluttering of your own! Not-cluttering is more conceptual." And this was one of the more coherent ones I read.
So, if we have a choice, I'd go for the review. We may not have a choice, though.
All in all, it's pretty exciting. It would be nice if we could have those books that every kid has to read over the summer, such as Roll of thunder, hear my cry. We have Frankenstein in both e-audio and ebook and I can see telling kids, "Oh, if you have a computer at home, you can download that in print or audio format from our website!"

1 comment:

marfita said...

And I learned today that they will need Adobe for downloading e-books. Just about everyone has a free copy of that. You usually get an Adobe link with material that requires it.