Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Hmmmmmm

Well, that was annoying. Netlibrary said dial up would take almost 6 hours and cable was 11 minutes. It took over 40 minutes to download to the computer. Then it took 30 seconds to transfer it to the mp3 player.
Now, I don't know if it's the mp3 player or the audiobook itself, but there are only two settings: play and pause. If you stop it for any reason, you have to go back to the beginning and start over.
This is not the way they work on cd! On a cd player, you will have sections you can forward or reverse to. And the one in my car remembers where you were when you turned the car off. That can be pretty annoying. It was happening with the children's book I did earlier, but that was so short it didn't really need such a feature. Oh, a full-length book does.
It is therefore my considered opinion that you should not bother to try to listen to an audiobook on an mp3 player. I know people who do this, however, strange people. It always boils down to this: there just ain't anything like a book.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are alternatives and it is very hard to drive while reading a book. I found CDs hard to change and I liked having one MP3 player rather than 10 cassettes.

I have tried several books from NetLibrary and I have not been happy. First, they said they were compatible with lots and lots of mp3 players, but they haven't even tested them. They just assumed they work because the players said that they supported DRM.
Second, your comment about moving around is exactly right. I found their lack of chapters very frustrating.
Third, their competitor OverDrive does break their books into chapters, but the libraries I have access to have a lot fewer books available.
Fourth, I have listened to dozens and dozens of books downloaded from Audible.com on my mp3 player and have been very pleased. There is a subscription fee. I am paying about $22 for any two audiobooks a month and they have 35 THOUSAND books and articles.

marfita said...

Thanks, alexg - I thought it was just me. I've passed our mp3 player on to someone else, but it's really cheap and unlikely to have any ff that works with this. I have pressed ">>" several hundred times and only gotten shuffled right back to the start. I will test the audiobook on the Media Player and see if one is able to ff ... whenever I get back to the workroom machine. Even if it does , NetLibrary just plain sups, if yanowhaddimean.

Anonymous said...

No, you aren't the only one. I finally gave up trying to copy audiobooks on CD to the non-iPod mp3 player and bought an Apple iPod. With millions of users and a better designed product, I found the Apple iPod just the thing. I had a book I wanted to listen to on CDs from the library. I found instructions at http://aldoblog.com/audiobooks/itunes/importing-audio-cds/ that tell you what to do step by step and they work!

marfita said...

Thanks for the Aldoblog link. Very handy. Wasn't planning on buying an iPod, not really planning on buying anything. Just trying out the audiobooks we'll be providing to our patrons.