Friday, December 29, 2006

Son of Audio Books

Continuing in my efforts to destroy the concept of downloadable audiobooks, I downloaded a couple more to see if they were any easier to handle with the media player, as opposed to the mp3 player.
sigh.
I tried the radio (quickie) download first, and the quality was really awful, like listening to a reader underwater. I hadn't noticed it so much with the first book I downloaded, but I might not have been expecting much (and it was a J book). You can use the >> (fast forward) button, but it only goes faster and did not jump to the next cut. Hmm. I wondered then if it would be any better on the cd quality download, which would take longer.
Mind you, I'm working with children's books (or adult quickie fare such as the Hamish Macbeth mysteries) that should go pretty fast. The computer claimed it was taking 5 minutes to download the book. I went out to give LeVerne a break but she said she didn't need one. Then I tried to help her put books away but she shooed me off.
I tried this new higher-quality audio and ... yes, it does sound better. It sounds great, if I must say so. However, it only fast forwards, does not skip. Someone could be in for a long wait, ff'ing to where they left off. So, it's not the mp3 player, or not only the mp3 player making things awkward.
A regular book on cd will play on media player and has nicely spaced cuts to skip to. You press >> and it goes to the next one. You press << once and it goes back to the beginning of the current cut, twice and to the previous cut. Much better than holding the << down for ages.
I fear our patrons will have to be warned that NetLibrary isn't the answer to their prayers, unless they are able to sit there for an entire book. I was toying with the idea of burning it to a cd, but the cd module is off somewhere else and I don't know if (a) it's a burner or (2) if the wma file been thingied to prevent burning to cd. Just trying to think like a patron.

I've attached a url to a page describing devices that do not meet requirements. Patrons will have to refer to that. However, after using media player, I don't think it's the mp3 that's the problem. Ahem.

No comments: