Friday, December 15, 2006

Kill Two Birds ...

Well, I don't know who has the mp3 player at the moment, but I can download and listen to an audiobook on the computer here. Well, I thought I could, anyway.
The hardest part is finding a book I'd want to download. Not sure why. I get all picky about something I'm only going to listen to for a few minutes, then shut down and try to find again! So I picked The sign of four by Conan-Doyle (must be jonesin' for that seven percent solution) and ... oh, hell, I don't know what I'm doing. I didn't really want to have it floating around on the harddrive, even though we've got about a 90+GB memory. (Remember when people wondered what they would do with 70KB? Me neither. Anyway ...) So I tried to just check it out ... which I supposed was streaming. Nothing happened, although the screen said it was now checked out to me. Hmmm. So I went up a notch and clicked on the radio quality (I checked on the FAQ to see what the difference was, other than a fraction of the downloading time and it turns out that you need CD quality if you want to download it further onto a listening device. Fine. I haven't got the listening device in front of me, so this is just right for me).
Apparently, I then chose the wrong option on the pop-up menu. I went for "open" and I should have picked "saved." Because now The sign of four is lost to me forever. I had intended to stop it and see what it was like to start up again. I think there is a four-letter answer to that.
What happened was that Media Player became suddenly insistant that I upgrade. I wasted about 10 minutes on this (well, maybe it was shorter than that) and then was, of course, unable to find the audiobook again.
sigh.
Back to square one. I logged on again and chose a different book (a shorter one - children's book) and clicked on radio quality again. I chose "save" this time and was able to put it somewhere that I would find it again. In fact, I can go right into Media Player and do a search on the words in the title and it comes up. And it started playing again while I was looking for it. Cheeky thing.
So, here's my recommendation: choose "save" and put it where you can find it again.
There's a fastforward function for zippying ahead, but I haven't found that it will skip to the next "cut," as most audiobooks on cd do. Maybe the book is too small.

No comments: