Thursday, November 16, 2006

Firefox

I thought I'd lost my cursor, but it was there after all. Okay, I'm in Firefox now, but of course it isn't make any difference here in Blogger. At least, so long as I can find the cursor it isn't doing anything. Hmm, did Blogger have spellcheck before? I seem to have a spellcheck now. I haven't thingied ... um, posted in a while (over 5 minutes, which seems to be my memory limit now) so I'm not sure. Anyway, Firefox/Mozilla offers open source code. That means you can tinker with the code to make the internet perform or look the way you like. That's way too scary for me, but someone who knows what they're doing would probably have a ball, at least, judging by the "skins" and add-ons that were offered. I tried to change to a cat-themed skin, but it said it wasn't compatible with the F 2.0 version. I'm also a bit interested in a skin called "Pimpzilla." Heh, heh.
Bob writes code, and there is always someone (say, the US Air Force) who wants open source code and claims to be willing to pay for it. Aside from the fact that if you are selling programming, OSC would enable someone to figure out your proprietary info, it also allows someone to tinker and destroy your work ... and then complain about it. Or else they call and say they can't make it do such-and-such and Bob has to stop what he's doing and troubleshoot. Bob is a detail person and he can deal with that. I'm not.
I'll explore this a bit more, though.

No comments: