Sunday, November 05, 2006

Library Thing

Begone you fiend of Santa! Ummm, Satan! Whatever.
I got rid of that pointless Google (Santa/Satan) News button and replaced it with a link to my LibraryThing profile. I'm spreadin' the word on LibraryThing. Got my friend in Hong Kong hooked up to it.
Just finished My Little Blue Dress by Bruno Whatsis. Ah, so there's a reason that story is so lame! The book is rather like The Story of Pi by Martel. I spent much of the time reading MLBD wondering Why is the accent so lame? He's British; he should be able to get it right. And other such marvelings. Now I understand. It doesn't make it much better. This was a difficult concept to pull off.
I've got two books recommended by people on LibraryThing to read as well. I don't even remember why I picked up MLBD. TSOP I read after reading about it in Horn Book. Then I made my book group read it. Now, there was a lively discussion! Marlene is trying to start a book group in HK, but it's slow going, apparently. She recently told someone who borrowed one of her books that he had to sign up for LibraryThing. He had no choice. I'm not sure how she was going to make him. She didn't go into details. She can get pretty scary.
Explorer's Day was very slow. Hardly anyone came to the CR in the morning at all, much less participated. But I did have a few families in the afternoon. Some of them shyly tasted the food. One little girl bit into a date, grimaced and put the bit in her hand back in the bowl. Her mother rescued it and gave it to the littler brother who chowed down happily while his sister spit out the chewed portion in her hand and dropped it as well back in the bowl. Her mom cleaned it out, along with any dates it had touched and gave the little girl a lecture on following instructions and threatened to take her home immediately if she didn't.
Another family ate as if it were going out of style. I had cautioned the little boys that the bread might be drying out and they'd need some water, but their mom said they'd been eating it fine. They tasted about everything. Parents were happy about the olives, but not the kids. The pomegranate was a big hit. There were even some adults who'd never tasted one. I had to give instructions on eating the seeds. An older girl bit tentatively into a single seed, still holding it with her fingers, which is a neat trick with something as small as a pomegranate seed. Later, though, she was eating them merrily.
We had some attempts at the mosaic, and a couple of kids colored and cut-out Flavius, but the food seems to be the most popular.
Oh, and one kid ate a radish.

No comments: