Monday, November 26, 2007

Looks Like I Picked a Bad Week to ...


I'm working my way through the backlog of blog posts in Library 2.1 and found FitDay just before Thanksgiving. I think we all know that a little less intake and a little more activity wouldn't hurt me, but everyone knows what happens when you go on a diet. It works for a while and then your body kicks into starvation mode and starts being more efficient. Or the minute you stop - it all flies back on and then some. For this I recommend the book Mindless Eating, wherein the author suggests that you cut back only about 100 calories a day so you don't trip the starvation meter in your body. He has some other tips - read it yourself. Back to FitDay.
FitDay is a social weight control site. Oh, boy! I heard you say. Just how aware are you of what you consume in a day? Sure, you can write it down, but only FitDay can call up the calories for you and then tell you at the end of the week if you're burning as much as you're taking in. I recorded a Thanksgiving dinner and two trips to Ryan's (along with all the rest of my eating - lunch at Santa Fe, dinner at India Palace, snacks) and still came in at burning more calories than I consumed! Something was wrong, so I adjusted my activity level to having a seated job, as opposed to seated with some movement. I'm still burning more. I'll have to go over my intake again. I mean, I posted two pieces of pie a day! You do have to be careful about entering a correct portion size, which involves a lot of airy-fairy estimating. That might be it.
FitDay only as social as you want it to be. I'm really only using the food and activity part. It's time-consuming to enter all the fiddly bits you've eaten in a day ... maybe if you had to enter each one before you ate it ...

No comments: