Monday, March 30, 2009

What I Read on My Vacation (on the Kindle)

The Princess Bride The Princess Bride by William Goldman


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
After consulting with the Visiting Professor of Florin Studies here at Lander University, I feel I will have to read S. Morgenstern's original papers before I can make any definitive statements about Goldman's rewrite.
I just hope his son recovered from the description in the book. I'm not at all surprised his marriage dissolved, considering the autobiographical scenes. As far as the Kindle went, although all other books worked fine, this one gave me problems. The Kindle simply refused to remember where I had left off reading after some point. It was difficult to find my last location, unless I memorized the location at the bottom, which is not that much different from how I handle books if I haven't got a bookmark.
This reminds me, one thing that makes library books an improvement on the Kindle: I can slip my room key into the date due pocket when I go to the pool! I was at a total loss of where to keep my room key this week! At last, I put it in the pocket of my cosmetic bag which I later used to tote the 50 SPF sunscreen when I went to lay out while housekeeping tidied the room. I didn't want to carry that much, but there you are. If I'm just going for a swim, the key and a paperback is all I need. The paperback keeps me company (and hides the key) until I've dried off enough to go back to the room.




A Damsel in Distress A Damsel in Distress by P.G. Wodehouse


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
Early Wodehouse. Not sure why he thought a 48 year old man would be a total dodderer (along the lines of the third earl of Emsworth).




Adventures of Sally Adventures of Sally by P.G. Wodehouse


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
What a period piece! Sally is a dance hostess who finally comes into her fortune. Dance hostessing/taxi dancing has fallen by the wayside as careers go. I met a woman in NYC who went undercover as a taxi dancer to write an expose. Wodehouse also gives us a view of putting together a theatrical venture in the 1920s, what with the talentless beauties who get lead roles by sleeping with the producer - that doesn't happen anymore! Imagine that it only took $5,000 to put on a show!




Three Men and a Maid Three Men and a Maid by P.G. Wodehouse


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
I liked that it didn't have a pat solution. In later years I think Wodehouse made everything very, very tidy and while it was always very satisfying, this ending is more realistic. The heroine discovers that the man she thought was heroic, wasn't. She went from liking him and then didn't like him and in the end his only recourse is to wear her down. I've had this tried on me, in fact.


View all my reviews.

No comments: