Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cholera in the Time of Love

The Anatomy of Deception The Anatomy of Deception by Lawrence Goldstone


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
As a period mystery, this was a good one. I had one small problem with the plot - and maybe it's from recently reading about cholera in Ghost Map - but it was an impossibility that a doctor of that time would not treat what he believed to be cholera with the proven treatment of drinking untainted water to rehydrate. The author even referenced the discovery of the cause. I found myself screaming at the book things like, "No, no, nooo! You don't understand cholera at allllll!"

Oh, and the plot was about icky things, just to remind us that Victorian times were not some pure and halcyon days we've lost forever. The resolution was a bit clunky although nicely "shocking." I had made the mistake of turning to the back to see if there was some historical info and got hit in the face with a spoiler. So, Don't do that!


View all my reviews.

No comments: