Sunday, February 04, 2007

Bookmoochers in SecondLife


Okay, I'm turning nerd here. I read about an area for Bookmoochers in SecondLife and I had to go visit. I had lost interest in SecondLife (SL) because apparently I was walking around boring people to death. Well, here's a new place to bore people! I had a nice chat with Mrs. Bookmooch (who runs the Magnatunes website, an ancillary site to Bookmooch ... or the other way around). There's a tiny corner (with a dog) for moochers and the rest of the area is given over to listening to sample music from Magnatunes ... each genre of music with its own space and decor.
SecondLife isn't exactly on the StaffDevelopomendo list, but it was talked about at the Library 2.0 Thingie. I had downloaded the programming at home and gone in to wander about. I have also taken a class in SL on how to create objects in SL. This is definitely not for people with limited time. The Library on Info Island is looking for volunteers, however. Now, this is what cracks me up about the various libraries (they just opened one for Genealogy) on SL: they have little, tiny computers you can use to look up stuff. You're already on a freakin' computer!!! And the databases, etc., are hardly going to be any faster going through the shell programming of SL. I just think that's soooo funny.
Please note the Bookmooch t-shirt I'm wearing. I'm just geeking-out thinking about the whole thing.

No comments: