Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Amazing Something-Something of Octavian Nothing Part Whatever

I give up. I can't listen to this any more. I can deal with the faux 18th century language and the reader on the audiobook has a dishy voice (if voices can be dishy), but I can't listen anymore. This book makes me want to lie down and never get up again. It sucks all the happiness out of my life - what's left of the happiness. The happiness, that is, that has not been sucked out by this recurring IRS problem. Anyway, teens, if they can wade through the archaic language, will love this. This is a drama party with all the stops pulled out. Whippings? Canings? Torture? Slavery? You name it. Teens might find all this new and fascinating, but for me it just confirms the ugliest side of humanity. I got as far as the fourth cd before my husband told me, as my head lay on the floor and my flesh pooled around me, I didn't have to read it any more. Thank you, my love. You have saved my life.

No comments: