Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Flavor Is Red, the Coating Is Powdered - Period

The Three Silly Girls Grubb The Three Silly Girls Grubb by Ann Hassett


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Well, first of all, how could you resist that cover? [Interestingly, I know some Grubbs. I wonder if they've read this.] Reworking the story of the 3 billy goats and the troll, Hassett gives us a dirty little boy named Bobby who tries to bully each girl in turn into giving him her lunch. Understandably, each one refuses to give up her jelly donuts. As a connoisseur of le deaunutte gelee, I really appreciate the last page illustration of Robert, now utterly reformed and terrorized by the presence of the sisters, and the Gals Grubb with the white rings of powdered sugar around their mouths.
The characters are so ugly that they're cute. The solution to the story is brilliant and one that any child can relate to. Now if only I could find a way to use this in a storytime. [Hankers after a good NY state jelly donut where they understand red filling and powdered sugar.]

View all my reviews >>

No comments: