Wednesday, May 20, 2009

No. 1 Series

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Book 1) The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
A re-read. This was originally published almost 20 years ago, so I have an excuse for having forgotten all the cases. I was utterly surprised by all the solutions. Love the little homages to Agatha Christie (Mma Christie - hahaha!), which must be where Mma Ramotswe got her idea to become a detective to begin with. McCall Smith writes with tenderness as well as humor and with great love for Africa, which he tries to project on Mma Ramotswe.

I can really appreciate the way the author slows us down to the African pace of life, to a slow and respectful speech. I really worried when I heard they were making a television series out of it, but a co-worker showed me some of the footage on the internet and tears rose in my eyes as I realized that they have probably done a really good job of it.


View all my reviews.

No comments: