Monday, February 09, 2009

It's Not Your Father's Boobtube Anymore

Everything Bad is Good for You Everything Bad is Good for You by Steven Johnson


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
Video games are getting more complicated and so are tv shows - and that makes our brains work harder, so Johnson says. [I suspect I read this before because it all sounded really familiar.] Guess it's that entropy thing again - You start out really simple and then things get all complicated and disordered. Our brains have to make sense of non-linear shows like The Sopranos or video games such as ... The Sims, I guess - not sure. I'm not really a gamer. And I don't call Second Life a game. I do understand that once you've defeated a game, you no longer have interest in it and need to move on to another challenge.

There are videos I watch over and over to get all the little references out of, which is what they aim for now, the after-market where it's not enough to watch something once, but over and over so you have to buy the whole video, watch it endlessly, watch it with all the foreign dubbings and subtitles (okay, maybe that's just me), and then blog about it or go to some website where they hash over the finest details (ever go to any of the Harry Potter fan websites?) and write fan fiction. Isn't that just a more adult version of the Whole Reading method?


Good writer; I enjoy his stuff.


View all my reviews.

As an afterthought, I really enjoy the Goodreads site which allows me to copy my whole review I wrote there and paste it in a regular blog, bringing the cover along with it! Yay!

No comments: