Sunday, March 25, 2007

shelfmonkeys

In honor of his birthday this month! Here's to Theodor Geisel. My first Dr. Suess book was One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. Although I don't remember being taken to the library, I must have been familiar with the concept. My mother had taken me to a bookstore and let me pick out a book. I chose this vibrantly yellow book ("cadmium yellow light" I'd have called it then, which would have gotten my mother a free trip to talk to the teacher). I was stunned to learn it did not have to go back! This was also my first book of all my own. The rest were hand-me-downs from my sister. I can't describe how thrilled I was with this book. I took it to school for show-and-tell and then left it on the playground. I made my mother drive me back to the school to get it. My favorite Seuss story, though, is the Grinch. I read it to kids every year. It is long for pre-schoolers, but they already know the story, having seen the tv version and can fill in the Whoville Carol.

No comments: