Friday, January 14, 2011

Polar Bear Flannelboard


The Cold, Cold Night

One cold, cold night in the snowy, icy north a man heard a crunching outside his little house.  He opened his door to look out into the night but suddenly it was quiet.  The cold wind blew, and the stars above twinkled, and the moon shone bright when over the snowdrift appeared two big, big ears.
“Oh, my,” he said.
“How strange to see such big, big ears in the cold, cold night!”

And the cold wind blew, and the stars above twinkled, and the moon shone bright
when over the snowdrift appeared two dark, dark eyes under the big, big ears.
“Oh, my,” he said.
“How strange to see such dark, dark eyes under the big, big ears in the cold, cold night.”
But still he stood in the doorway.

And the cold wind blew, and the stars above twinkled, and the moon shone bright
when over the snowdrift appeared a black, black nose under the dark, dark eyes under the big, big ears.
“Oh, my,” he said.
“How strange to see such a black, black nose under the dark, dark eyes under the big, big ears in the cold, cold night.”
But still he stood in the doorway.

And then the man said, “Where did you get such big, big ears?”
“Much listening, much listening.”
“And where did you get such big, big eyes?”
“Much watching, much watching.”
“And where did you get such a black, black nose?”
“Much sniffing, much sniffing.”
“And what brings you to my door?”
D
r
a
m
a
t
i
c
P
a
u
s

“Snowshoes!”
Circles made with various die-cut patterns: planets, insides of 4" letter O, etc.
Black flannel is plain, but white flannel is fuzzy flannel that I keep hidden from the rest of the library. 

We've had snow down here all week, which is unusual for here and while I usually do something snow-related for pre-schoolers (many of them have not seen snow or ice - I had to explain icicles in December), I'm tired of doing the same stuff.  I saw a print-out online of some circles that could be cut out to make a polar bear and I decided it would make a cute flannelboard.  After looking at photos of real polar bears, though, I made the eyes smaller than the nose.  I'd been casting around for a rhyme to go with this when I remembered the flannelboard of "The Pumpkin Man" - so I used that as a basis forthe flannelboard story above.
Next I'll probably make a big book out of it!

No comments: