Thursday, September 09, 2010

It's Not About Making It Fun

Educating the Net Generation: How to Engage Students in the 21st CenturyEducating the Net Generation: How to Engage Students in the 21st Century by Bob Pletka

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


The NetGen are even harder to engage than their predecessors, but, aside from adding technology to the mix, what's needed to engage them is less "teaching to the test" and more complex, relevant projects that challenges different skills (language, a subject such as math or history, technology) at the same time.  They need to go at their own pace and I know from experience even as an adult that classes only go as fast as the slowest student.  Technology can actually help in those instances, because a student can get instant feedback in how they are doing and then get one-on-one tutoring either from the program or the teacher.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the writings of the students themselves - maybe I need to go back and read some of my scribblings (GAH! NOOOOO!!!).



View all my reviews

No comments: