Sunday, April 29, 2007

This Weekend in SecondLife



Each week the Humanists of SecondLife get together for a field trip to some interesting place in SecondLife and then a meeting for discussions. (It's rather hilarious that we meet on Sundays, just like the Christians.) This weekend we visited the Star Trek Museum of Science, which was great. It was very well put together and coupled information about the television shows with actual scientific information. I achieved a lifelong ambition by making myself a science officer. I told my husband that I had gotten a Star Fleet uniform and he suddenly said, "Not the red one?!" No, of course not. Those people in the red shirts in the away teams are the first ones to die! This would be a great resource for teens who might accidentally learn some facts. Unfortunately, it's not on the teen grid (there is a separate SecondLife for the underaged). Or maybe it is. I'm not allowed on the teen grid, so I don't really know.
One of the best (and by "best" I guess I mean "funniest") exhibits at the STMofS is a display of How Has Star Trek Changed Your Life? In it the "communicator" is compared to the cell phone and so on. Of course, the cell phone doesn't have a little dial on it like radios in the 1960s. Sorry that the "photo" of the display isn't all that clear.* You can almost read everything. If you are really interested, go there and look at it yourself!
SecondLife is not all gamers shooting each other or "lusers" gettingthe virtual sex that they can't get in Real Life because they are lumpy mousepotatoes. There's something there for us old folks who like to chat with people in real time, while being lumpy and eating Doritos.
That's me in the science unit costume and the white hair. My handle is Lludmila Mirrikh. Drop by some time and chat with me.
*I've added what I hope is a clearer copy.

No comments: